monologues in songs

For all discussion of music.
This forum is open to the general public.
Frank G
Club Member

monologues in songs

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Monolugues in songs have been around for decades.today we have rap music.Monolugues have been used in several ways Artists have just done straight monologues, you can think walter brennan,lorne greene with ringo,jimmy dean with big bad john, and davy jones theme for a new love and desiderata.Other artists have incorparated monlogues or banter either at the start of a song, sometimes in the middle of a song or even all thru the song.Elvis did this a couple of times with are you lonesome tonight and softly as I leave you.Johnny cash did it with good effect in one piece at a time.johnny wasn't the only c&w artist to do it as bobby bare used it in 500 miles and detroit city.Brook Benton 's most famous monologue would be the boll weevil song.IN his two duets with dinah washington he throws in some banter .Apparently in baby you got what it takes brook Benton starts singing in dinah's spot in which she tells him so.Both thought it would be edited out but head honchos decided to release this version and it became a hit record.When they recorded rockin' good way they again used this formula of banter.on Wednesday 21st of august I will play some of these songs in my feature hour on kcrfm between 4-5pm.i will also play two of the biggest rock n roll songs with spoken parts in them.mel blanc will make a appearance courtesy of pat boone.the Shangri las had several songs with spoken parts but I will play one of their lesser known ones.To round out the sixties I will play a famous eric burdon and the animals monolgue.I haven't forgotten the seventies and the nitty gritty dirt band will be making a appearance.One of the most famous seventies soul monlogues must be kiss and say goodbye by the manhattans but it got pipped by another classic soul monlogue by the chi lites.And if the yanks can do monolugues so can us aussies as bobbie&laurie will show.hopefully you can listen on Wednesday.